Monday, May 21, 2012

Multi-Tool Madness!

So this past week I have been stuck in the "great indoors". School, work and Mothers Day prevented me from getting out into the woods, however my mom was happy to have me home all day, so it was worth it. I digress. While stuck inside this week pouring over books and straining my eye's in front of a computer screen, I was struggling to come up with a clever or insightful topic to write about for the blog. It wasn't until I finalized my social media marketing class presentation that it dawned on me.

My presentation was over a company that produces one of my favorite every-day-carry (EDC) items, my Leatherman. Leatherman produces multi-tools, which are pretty much pocket knives on steroids. My personal Leatherman is the Wave and has 17 tools on it. This post is going to show how a multi-tool (my personal one) is useful in bushcrafting or survival scenarios.

  • Plain Knife: This knife is too small for wood prep, however the edge is one of my sharpest making it excellent for processing wild game
  • Serrated Knife: Cutting rope and cordage for shelter making can be a pain in the rear end on a plain edge knife, the serrated edge allows more traction for easier cuts through flexible material 
  • Saw: Cutting precise clean lengths of flexible greenwood for shelter making. Game processing
  • Pliers: I like to carry fishing line and a few hooks in my hat. Needle nose pliers are always handy when fishing. Additionally they can help tie tighter knots while shelter making.
  • Scissors: Cutting cord, game processing, first aid (not primary recommendation due to lack of sterilization)
  • Can Opener: If you have packed canned non perishables or sea rations, the can opener is a God send   so you can keep your knife sharp.
Just from the few examples listed above. It is evident that a good multi-tool can be a valuable asset to your outdoors kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment